Monday, January 16, 2006

 

MLK and Namaste

A few prime quotes. If you haven't seen the HBO documentary about Rosa Parks, I recommend it. It amazes me that I have lived in a time where black people in the south were not allowed an education. I am even more amazed to see that our country is more intent on forcing "democracy" on other countries when our corpocracy refuses to use its resources to educate its own people. Having studied Civil Rights in college it always irks me when people speak of the welfare state in our country, like it's a political party thing. The fact is, when we see uneducated, dependent people such as Katrina's victims, unable to fend for themselves, it's a direct result of the slave culture, and has nothing to do with democrats or republicans. Fact is, the economy depended upon keeping the labor force down south uneduated and dependent when slavery was abolished. That legacy still haunts us today. All we need to do is make education of ALL people top priority, and they'll be able to take care of themselves.

Okay, so here are a few choice quotes for this day.

That's all nonviolence is - organized love. (Joan Baez )

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. (Martin Luther King, Jr.)

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. (Abraham Lincoln)

In India when we meet and part we often say, "Namaste," which means: I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides; I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides; I honor the place in you of love, of light, of truth, of peace. I honor the place within you where if you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us�.. "Namaste." (Ram Dass)

Namaste to you!

Comments:
War and killing. It will only stop when people stop hating, the patently mental exercise of nursing wounds and stoking the fires of revenge. You can’t put out the fires of violence with gasoline. You must remove the fuel. There has to be an effort to understand and "to remember that all men, even our enemies are human"

- Hacı Bektaş Veli

There is a site that is trying to educate the West and show them that there is a tradition of tolerance in the Middle East and that we need to come together for understanding. Maybe you could help them promote the site.

Support world peace!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?